Monday, June 20, 2011

Radical workplace experiences.

So now I'm working at this traditional Chinese instrument shop "Tun Huang Music School", a well-established centre offering lessons in the fine arts and culture of Chinese instruments.

My idea was this, it's still music right? It can't be any different, I'm sure I can take it head-on. After all office boy jobs doesn't need too much critical thinking right?

I banged my head super hard on the corporate wall on the 1st day of the job... 1st thing, I found out my job was not an office boy, but instead I got myself into an apprentice position... And instead of doing petty stuff around the office, I was to follow the master around to TEACH! Teach an instrument I only practice for 1 day... =_=

The dulcimer, or in Chinese, the 扬琴... Good thing I have a percussive background, and I pretty much manage to pick up the technique in minutes... Then the master told me I'll be fine teaching school children.

What??? Okay, sweet... Now I need to re-activate my think-tank... Teaching is not easy... Teaching primary school? Oh no...

And you know what? It turned out to be my old school... LICK HUNG! But man they have a freaking BIG Chinese Orchestra compared to most secondary school. Yes, I didn't type wrong, secondary school. It's like, they have 120+ members. @.@

Now the hard part about teaching is that, instead of the standard western notation, I have to switch to the numbered-notation... Not used to it... And an instrument of which I'm not familiar with... That's tough...

The master is also one hard to get used to... He's a nice guy, really... But like many kinds of artistic person, he is... Eccentric. =3= And we have different approaches to teaching... Very different... He's the soft tai-chi style go slow with the students flow type... I'm the hard-headed in-your-face military boot camp style teaching...

Oh well... Apprentice... It's not easy to be one. But oh well, another week then school starts... By then I think I'll just work for 4 hours a week...

1 comment:

  1. haha... don't worry la, you'll be fine....

    and now you have the advantage of playing an extra instrument...!

    ReplyDelete