Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I Failed.

Chilly this morning, just the way I like it. Woke up at 6:30am this morning to because I had to retrieve something from school urgently. And after that, it's the usual wait for the driving institute's driver to come pick me up to go to the institute... Only this time, it wasn't for lessons, but the real deal, the test...

Call me a wee bit nervous yet, I try to boast a little confidence (maybe even over-confidence) to ease myself. Seeing a huge crowd of people who were also sitting the test, made me feel anxious... And I didn't know why. About half the people who were there this morning were actually sitting through a re-take.

Zhi Yin was also there. We chatted a bit, talking about our past driving endeavors, and how nervous we were... She was waiting to sit the car test as well.

Soon, I registered and went to the waiting area for the "Parking" section of the test. Somehow, I felt a little more relaxed in this part, cause it's in a controlled environment, and as long as I follow the book, nothing could go wrong. My turn came, and I took on the vehicle. Going through those obstacles was a bit nerve wrecking when I did, but I managed to pull through. Perfect scores, how nice, so I passed.

Coming back to the registration waiting area, I had to wait another round, this time, it was the road test, where I actually have to face real-life road conditions... Zhi Yin went off with her parking test soon enough. And after about 45 minutes later, she came back, telling me she had pass.

But I was still waiting...

Another 15 minutes or so, it came to me, my turn to take on the road. Went through the checking procedure, reversed, and off I go onto the road. I felt a little more confident actually, after warming up with the parking. Going to route "B", it was my favorite, since I personally find it easy to take on. Everything went smoothly...

Until I reached the school. When I turned in the junction leading to the road next to the school, there was a huge bunch of students walking in the middle of the road, obstructing me to go on further. Thinking that since the right side of the lane was clear, I steered my way around the students who were still slacking away, and off I go. I thought nothing of it, and the rest of the journey was smooth enough.

When I reached back the centre, I was a wee bit dumbfounded that I failed... The examiner explained to me that in the condition I faced just now, I could've brake and stop, allowing the students to fully clear the way before moving again, and by overtaking them, it killed my score and immediately voided me of a pass...

Great, now I miss being a student, king of the road, always right and never wrong in an accident as long as in uniform...

Going home, a bit disappointed, but still hopeful all the same. My next attempt would be the next Friday, I should be a bit more alert by then.

Arrived home, Zhi Yin texted me that she passed, in a way I'm green with envy, but then I'm also happy for her, she needn't go through what I went through. Congratulations to her.

Driving test? Failed... Forever? No, just once, mark my words. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment