Monday, January 16, 2023

Now but a memory.

 

So the saying goes, a picture speaks a thousand words. But times like these, I don't seem to agree with the adage.

You can look at a moment in time, frozen and captured for keepsakes. I look at the bliss of this moment, a simple reminder of how it felt to just be able to spend time with family over Chinese New Year.

No contentions, no complications, no conflict of wills, not even a hint of any deep seated anguish. Only smiles, telling all to see this one clear idea: We were glad in that moment.

Perhaps it's for the better that we tend to forget the pain and only remember the good times.

...

I look at my dad's bright smile, and remember a man who by some grace from above had the wisdom to impart important lessons in me since I was a boy. Kindness, compassion, civic duty, filial duty. Care not the grades, care not the ambition, care not the possessions; only care that we be good men. These are the lessons I cherish.

Forget the inconsistencies and the partialities. After all, which man is perfect?

So in spite the pain of the last few months, I will let the decades of joy and laughter wash away these tears. We had a good time, and now I shall hope and await the day we may be united again.

...

Rest well, papa.

No comments:

Post a Comment